Why all the fuss? Well, it IS yummy (I know cos I've tried it. I spotted it in the drinks fridge at Petite Kitchen's cafe). Yep, it's good. Mostly I think it's gotten famous because there's almost nothing to it. No preservatives, no nasties. Just whole organic milk and the best chocolate in the world - Whittakers.
Anyhoo, the other day Dash was home from school and we were out getting stuff at the supermarket and he said, "Hey mum can I get some of that famous chocolate milk to try?"
Of course they were sold out. Of course they were.
But they did have plenty of the plain white stuff in stock.
Which gave me an idea - the famous chocolate milk is meant to be just Whittakers Chocolate in Lewis Road Creamery Milk, so why not make my own?
I did, and here's how you can make your own too. Queueing be damned!
Make your Own Lewis Road Creamery Chocolate Milk
- 1 x 750ml bottle of Lewis Road Creamery whole milk*
- 1 x block (or share pack) of Whittakers Milk Chocolate
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan and place on the stove, on a medium heat; stir (or find an assistant stirrer).
- Break up the chocolate into smallish chunks and add to the milk; keep stirring. (You can vary the amount of chocolate according to taste; half a block will give a pleasant chocolaty flavour, a whole block is like drinking liquid gold)
- The chocolate will begin to melt into the milk; keep on stirring.
- When all the chocolate is melted into the milk remove saucepan from the heat. **Do not allow to come to the boil**
- Drink it warm (it will slip down like silken liquid chocolate, warming the cockles of your heart) OR
- Pour it into a suitable container, chill in the fridge and sip it cold on a hot day.
Either way it's GOOD.
|[We poured our homemade brew back into the milk bottle and chilled it in the fridge]|
Let me know if you give it a go!
OTHER FAVOURITE DRINKIES