I must confess that I had originally planned to start December with "Twelve Days of Christmas Blogging"... hah! I have hardly made it onto the computer all week, apart from a few snatched moments to read all your blogs and comment here and there!
It's not that I'm lacking in things to say, but more like the time and head-space to say them in a coherent way. So tonight (after staggering in at 11pm after watching "2012" at the movies) I thought: dang it, forget brilliance or coherant thoughts; go with snippets and photos. So sorry people, nothing earth shattering tonight, just a few random moments from my crazy pre-Christmas week...
Dash Does "5+ A Day"
Big Brother is the worst one at fruit and vege eating. After tearing our hair out for months (and worrying about lack of nutrition) Mr G and I decided to get tough on Dash. His goal? He must eat the required 5+ A Day of Fruit'n'Veges. I think having a numerical attainable goal like that works well for this chappie. This week found him eating kumara chips, munching on a carrot and downing a corn-cob: previously unheard-of events, bordering on the Miraculous.
I also perfected these yummy Potato Patties (the leftovers went into his lunchbox the next day...)
400g frozen mashed potato (microwaved)
1 can of creamed sweetcorn
1 carrot (finely grated)
a splodge of tomato sauce
a handful of flour to bind it all together
Drop spoonfuls into a hot frypan with a little light oil; brown on each side; serve and see your fussy child gobble up his veges.
Candy From the Northern Hemisphere!
My Great Candy Exchange partner came through! Jenny's shipment of candy arrived all the way from Nashville, Tennessee.
The kids especially like the Moon Pies and gobbled them up. I got a little nibble and thought, Mmmmm, interesting! Kind of marshmallow-y?? The gourmet jelly beans have also disappeared. I am looking forward to trying the Lemonheads (recommended by Jenny) and the fancy tea she sent. I'm going to save the other goodies for the Christmas buildup.
I am resisting gutsing them all at once and being very self-controlled because my health kick is starting to pay dividends. That's right - 6kg lost in just under 2 weeks. What the heck was I eating before??? All I know is I feel lighter and so much better. I defy anyone to mistake me for a pregnant woman now!
A Pippins Christmas Carol
I had two stars that night: Miss Fab singing and dancing with her class to Abba "Money Money Money" and Dash doing a Rock'n'Roll partner dance (complete with rose, slicked back hair and looking very suave).
I was bursting with pride as my girl remembered to smile this time and gave it her all.
Dash stunned me. He looked about 10 years old when he came on; I couldn't believe this handsome young gentleman was my freckly lad. I filmed some great footage on the video camera - only to realise to my horror as the performance ended - that I had forgeotten to press record and the camera was on pause throughout. I got nothing. Gutted is how I felt, I tellya.
Odds 'n' Ends
- I got my ears re-pierced on a whim after receiving a pair of gorgeous earrings for my birthday. Ouch. (they had closed up years ago; these earrings are worth a bit of pain though)
- I got some really cool birdie pegs from Sammy, and thought they are just too good for hanging washing - so I put up an art rail in Miss Fab's room. Two hooks and some bendy wire and up goes the artwork; pretty cute dontcha think??
- Scrag got a haircut - well, at least 3/4 of one. He "lost it bigtime" as my friend (the brave volunteer hair-cutter) was nearing completion and we had to leave it not quite finished. Just as well he has a cute face.
- I wrapped more Christmas pressies and stashed them in the cupboard. Only a few left to find. Man I am pleased with myself.
- The Tree is up, the Wreath adorns the front door.
- I decided what I really want to be is a writer. And I got an idea for my first book. One day??
What have your highlights been this week??