For the Sports theme I used orange jelly to resemble actual orange quarters that soccer and rugby players have at matches. You can alternatively use other colours and turn the jelly oranges into little boats, as we did for the Deep Blue Sea (pirate) party. The sails are made from triangles of white paper threaded onto toothpicks.
- Melt the butter and syrup in a microwaveable bowl.
- Add egg and sugar and beat well.
- Sift cocoa, flour and baking powder together and add into egg mixture.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the milk. Fold gradually into the mixture.
- Pour into a lined (or greased) baking tin. Bake at 190oC for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.