I made these popcornesque cupcakes for Scrag's Carnival Party, knowing that we would have a bunch of little guests with food allergies and not wanting them to feel left out of the yumminess.
These cupcakes are deceptively simple, easy and delicious - despite being both gluten AND dairy free.
They were gobbled up by kids and adults alike, who didn't even realise that they were "allergy friendly". No nasty after taste; no stodgy brick-like texture.
Just fun-looking, delicious cupcakey goodness (with no artificial colours either).
Here's my super easy recipe...
Dairy Free/Gluten Free/Colour Free Cupcakes!
125g dairy free spread (e.g. Olivani)*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup caster sugar (fine grained)
1 cup gluten free all-purpose baking mix (e.g. Healtheries or Bakels are best)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup of soy or rice milk
(* to make measuring easy, it's 1/4 of a 500g tub)
- Beat dairy-free spread, vanilla and sugar together until light and creamy
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
- Sift gluten free baking mix and baking powder together; fold into creamed mixture
- Stir in soy (or rice) milk
- Spoon into silicone cupcake moulds* for baking - makes approx 18
- Bake at 190°C (375°F) for 15 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched
- Allow to cool and then decorate (see below)
(*Silicone moulds allow for easy transfer to your fancy expensive cupcake papers; they can be found at most dollar stores for a song)
Decorating the Cupcakes
YOU WILL NEED:
- Red and White Striped cupcake papers
- 2 packets of Mr Mallow Gluten and Dairy-free mini marshmallows
- a batch of buttercream icing made with dairy free spread (100g dairy-free spread, 1 cup of icing sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla essence whipped to within an inch of its life)
- Transfer the cooled cupcakes from the silicon cupcake moulds into the fancy striped cupcake papers. Carefully trim off any lopsided bits
- Separate the pink and white mini marshmallows
- Pipe a swirl of the dairy-free buttercream onto each cupcake
- Press a handful of white mini marshmallows onto each one to resemble "popcorn" in a tub.
Voila, you are done. Enjoy!
More Carnival Party Stuff